- NewsIf you are interested in the latest news of Helderberg International School, click here.more
- AdmissionsThe admission process is open throughout the year. Requirements to be admitted is explained on this page;more
- AdvisorsWe'll keep you up to date with what's going on in Helderberg International School with our advisory board...more
- NewsletterAn historical list of the regularly distributed publication about Helderberg School is now availablemore
WATCH THIS SPACE…..NEW WEBSITE UNDER
Message from the Head of School
Education is certainly an extremely important part of a school and many will argue that it is the most important aspect. All teachers know that the atmosphere within a school contributes as much to the success of the student as the curriculum. More importantly, it has a great bearing on whether or not a child develops a love for learning. It is about making school a place where children feel challenged but competent, where they work hard but enjoy it, where achievement is the product but not the sole objective. The creation of a positive, happy and loving atmosphere is the shared responsibility of the professional teachers and the parents. At the International Helderberg School, we endeavor to marry academic excellence with a warm, loving and caring environment, where optimum learning can take place.
IES International Helderberg School is based in Heritage Park, a security estate in Somerset West that lies below the majestic Helderberg mountain peak. The school is small and personal with classes of between 10 and 22 students. We offer the Cambridge International Examinations, the world’s largest provider of international education programmes and qualifications for 6-19 year old students We also offer an Early Childhood programme for 4 and 5 year olds.
Part of the University of Cambridge, one of the world’s prestigious tertiary institutions, the curriculum that is delivered at Helderberg is trusted for it’s excellence and recognised by universities and employers worldwide. More than ten thousand schools in over one hundred and sixty countries offer Cambridge, and Helderberg is part of this international learning community. The Cambridge mission is centered on excellence and the vision is centered around the students who access and engage the curriculums on offer.
At Helderberg, we embrace this vision for our students. We look to develop children who approach life with confidence, who are able to reflect and respond with a sense of responsibility to the world around them and who are empowered to engage in the challenges of the 21st Century. Underpinned by Cambridge and external standardised examination and testing, English, Mathematics and Science are experienced at the highest level within classes.
These standards set by Cambridge call for a strong focus on teaching and learning. At IES International Helderberg School, we seek to attract and attain well qualified teachers. Our staff lives the philosophy of life-long learning and professional development, to support and improve the quality of the written, taught and assessed curriculums; is a priority at our school.
Educational excursions are a strong focus throughout the year and our students attend different types of educational camps and enjoy trips into nature, to historical buildings, art, toy and history museums, theatre productions, the ‘Hop-on-Hop-off’ Cape Town bus Tour to mention just a few. Students are encouraged to use these excursions to extend their learning, develop their character and appreciate the beauty of the ‘outdoor classroom’.
We encourage our students to participate in sporting activities to support their physical development, improve their social skills, to enjoy teamwork and to understand the importance of keeping fit and strong as part of a healthy lifestyle.
What does the term, ‘international’ mean and how is it developed through a curriculum? At Helderberg, we offer students multiple opportunities to develop the characteristics of global citizenship, characteristics embedded in our International Education Systems Mission Statement, that ask them to consider the world around them and explore ways to act and impact positively on people, animals and the environment. We encourage our students to examine themselves, know themselves, challenge themselves and pursue their passions. We create opportunities for students to understand the importance of being responsible for their learning and enjoy a relationship with the school and what we offer, making use of every experience and opportunity. An appreciation of the value that learning brings to our lives is a constant conversation.
IES International Helderberg School offers a safe, happy, nurturing environment where students and their learning are the center of every decision we make. We are confident that we are able to satisfy the needs of your child, so feel free to come in and visit us. Our team will welcome you and give you a tour of the school.
Head of School
- On Friday 8 February 2019 Year 7 and 8 students from Helderberg International School took part in a beach clean up. Under the guidance of Lisa Starr from Helderberg Ocean Awareness Movement, our students learnt about our single use plastic...
- Dear Parents and Guardians A parent’s role in their child’s education…. Parental encouragement and support for learning activities at home combined with parental involvement in schooling is critical to children’s education. … They enlarge parental and community capacity; they create...
- Valentine’s Day reminds us to show our love to others. In assembly this week the children were reminded that we need to show love towards our friends, peers, parents and teachers every day! We do this by saying kinds words,...
- Students at the Helderberg International School are passionate about contributing to assist children born with cleft-lips and other facial deformities, to enable them to get the much needed surgery that makes their lives easier and without ridicule. Arella, a student...
- This outing, which we try to undertake a few times a year, is invaluable in exposing students to the required academic material and the kind of academic environment which awaits them when they attend tertiary institutions after matriculation. We are...
- Dear Parents and Guardians It’s that time of the year again when we get into the “SLIDES 4 SMILES” mood. We are planning some exciting, fun days before then. Slipper days. Funky hair days and more. Details to follow soon....
Every year, students from SEK and IES schools join for a week of cultural or sports activities. The event takes place in one of the countries where exists a SEK/IES school. In 2018 a cultural week take place at SEK Budapest International School, Hungary.
For more information, please contact the Director of International Programs at the school