If you are interested in the latest news of Helderberg International School, click here.more
The admission process is open throughout the year. Requirements to be admitted is explained on this page;more
We'll keep you up to date with what's going on in Helderberg International School with our advisory board...more
An historical list of the regularly distributed publication about Helderberg School is now availablemore
Message from the Head of School
‘Know your child’. These are words that I have shared with parents over the years as they set out to select the right school for their child. The thing is, nobody understands your child; better than you do.
Knowing your child’s strengths and challenges, you know their social, emotional, physical and spiritual needs and know what interests them in the form of pastimes, hobbies, sport and the arts.
Based on what you know, begin exploring schools that you believe best suits your child. With this as the starting point, allow me to share what our school has to offer.
IES International Helderberg School is currently based in Heritage Park, a security estate in Somerset West that lies below the majestic Helderberg mountain peak. The school is small and personal with classes of between 8 and 22 students.
We offer the Cambridge International Examinations, the world’s largest provider of international education programmes and qualifications for 6-19 year old students We also offer an Early Childhood programme for 4 and 5 year olds.
Part of the University of Cambridge, one of the world’s prestigious tertiary institutions, the curriculum that is delivered at Helderberg is trusted for it’s excellence and recognised by universities and employers worldwide. More than ten thousand schools in over one hundred and sixty countries offer Cambridge, and Helderberg is part of this international learning community. The Cambridge mission is centered on excellence and the vision is centered around the students who access and engage the curriculums on offer.
At Helderberg, we embrace this vision for our students. We look to develop children who approach life with confidence, who are able to reflect and respond with a sense of responsibility to the world around them and who are empowered to engage in the challenges of the 21st Century. Underpinned by Cambridge and external standardised examination and testing, English, Mathematics and Science are experienced at the highest level within classes.
These standards set by Cambridge call for a strong focus on teaching and learning. At IES International Helderberg School, we seek to attract and attain well qualified teachers.Our staff lives the philosophy of life-long learning and professional development, to underpin and improve the quality of the written, taught and assessed curriculums; is a priority at our school.
Educational excursions are a strong focus throughout the year and our students attend different types of educational camps and enjoy trips into nature, to historical buildings, art, toy and history museums, theatre productions, the ‘Hop-on-Hop-off’ Cape Town bus Tour to mention just a few. Students are encouraged to use these excursions to extend their learning, develop their character and appreciate the beauty of the ‘outdoor classroom’.
We encourage our students to participate in sporting activities to support their physical development, improve their social skills, to enjoy teamwork and to understand the importance of keeping fit and strong as part of a healthy lifestyle.
What does the term, ‘international’ mean and how is it developed through a curriculum? At Helderberg, we offer students multiple opportunities to develop the characteristics of global citizenship, characteristics embedded in our International Education Systems Mission Statement, that ask them to consider the world around them and explore ways to act and impact positively on people, animals and the environment. We encourage our students to examine themselves, know themselves, challenge themselves and pursue their passions. We create opportunities for students to understand the importance of being responsible for their learning and enjoy a relationship with the school and what we offer, making use of every experience and opportunity. An appreciation of the value that learning brings to our lives is a constant conversation.
IES International Helderberg School offers a safe, happy, nurturing environment where students and their learning are the center of every decision we make.
If you believe our school suits the needs of your child, come in and visit us. Our team will welcome you and give you a tour of the school
Head of School
- For the Love of Music On Tuesday evening last week, we were treated to a wonderful evening of singing, music and dance. It was called, ‘For the Love of Music’. This annual event, organised by our highly accomplished music teacher,...
- Dear Parents Last week we said a sad goodbye to our Norwegian exchange students, Mads, Vibeke and Cecilie who arrived back in Oslo late yesterday afternoon. Due to Norwegian holidays and exam dates, they had to travel back a week...
- Some great ISH photos that have been published in the District Mail weekly paper over the last couple of weeks!...
- Dear Parents Yesterday, we celebrated our annual, ‘Slides4 Smiles’ presentation. Our relationship with Operation Smile has been a long and significant one. It’s our major fund-raiser for a community in need and we have so much fun while we raise...
- Dear Parents Book Week! One of the best weeks of the year is, ‘Book Week’. This is a time where we highlight and celebrate illustrations and the written word. Today was a festival of book characters as students from Early...
- Building resilience in our children to create consequences to deal with adversity In our schools, we see many students struggling to cope with the demands of teaching and learning, social challenges and expectations placed on them by adults who have...
Every year, SEK and IES students gather to enjoy a week of sports or cultural activities. The event takes place in one of the countries where there is an SEK or IES school. This year, there will be a Cultural InterSek, hosted by SEK Ecuador School, in the city of Quito.
For further information, please do not hesitate to contact the person in charge of International Programs at your school.Visit Website InterSEK 2016